2017 – Present
Communications Strategist + Visual Designer
- Employer: Self (Freelance + Consulting)
- Overview: My current work centers around integrated communications activities and visual design (particularly branding) for clients in medicine, research, health advocacy and tech.
- Description: Integrated communications planning, vector graphic design, data visualization, infographics, visual reports, logo + branding, market analysis + positioning, user interface design, information architecture, visual + verbal content strategy + creation, coding, social media management, email engagement, project management (See What I Do for detailed list of current freelancing + consulting services)
- Recent clients: Digital Medicine Society, Clinical Trials Transformation Initiative, Evidation, monARC Bionetwork, FDA’s Patient Engagement Collaborative
2014 – 2017
- Employer: Clinical Trials Transformation Initiative
- Overview: This chapter of my career marked a transition from junior designer to director-level specialist responsible for creating + managing a comprehensive suite of integrated communications activities.
- Description: Manage a comprehensive, diversified marketing + communications program to promote the organization, including strategy development, visual + written content generation, creative direction, audience engagement; develop, design and coordinate dissemination of print materials + digital assets for peer-reviewed publications, reports, presentations, infographics, social media and website; interface with leadership and project managers to integrate communications activities and generate external-facing comms pieces; oversee continual improvement of web presence, including blog and social media, leveraging analytics; execute web platform upgrades; coordinate promotional activities via stratified email marketing campaigns; oversee branding implementation.
2013 – 2019
Non-Profit Program Manager
- Employer: Burning Man, LLC
- Overview: This seasonal contract provided an opportunity to apply my communications skills to cycling advocacy and event production while honing my leadership style.
- Description: Develop and manage Burning Man’s network of Bicycle Programs, including free community bike program and abandoned bike cleanup effort; manage personnel for team of 20+, including hiring and scheduling; oversee ~$50k budget and purchasing; define and meet program objectives and timelines; create and adhere to programmatic standard operating procedures; strategize and create internal communications and external-facing outreach + advocacy; coordinate with non-profit partners; interface inter-departmentally; uphold leave no trace ethos.
2010 – 2014
Graphic + Web Designer
- Employer: Self (Freelance + Consulting)
- Overview: This chapter of my freelancing career focused on creating graphics and websites for small businesses, startups and advocacy organizations.
- Description: Graphic design, web design, web build (WordPress), flyer + magazine layout design, write + design organizational newsletters, social media engagement + advertising, community building, development of branded print materials
- Select Clients: InvivoSciences LLC, Issue TV, Take Back the Night Campaign, Diverse Arts Culture Works, Doing the Streets, LighterMate, Accolades PR, Shipley & Associates, Town Creek Mixed-Use Real Estate Development, Peace River Software, Professor Morton Ann Gernsbacher, Clinical Trials Transformation Initiative
2009 – 2010
Digital Media Consultant
- Employer: Digital Media Center, University of Wisconsin
- Overview: This job overlapped with completion of graduate school and stirred my desire to help people use digital media to tell their story.
- Description: Assist faculty, staff and graduate students with media digitization; train faculty and staff on software (e.g., Adobe Suite); responsible for maintaining and updating Digital Media Center website.
Contact me for additional work history.
- People person
- Exceptionally thorough + detail-oriented
- Constantly curious + awe-inspired
- Big picture thinking combined with love of nitty gritty visual design
- Rare combo of highly creative + analytical
- Software: Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop), Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word), Google Suite, Canva, Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Garage Band
- Web-Based Platforms: WordPress, Drupal, Plone, Wix, Constant Contact, MailChimp
➳ Fun Facts
- 200 Hour Anusara Yoga Instructor Certification earned in 2017
- Co-founder, guitarist and brand ambassador of a psychedelic spaghetti western rock band based in Austin, TX
- Master’s thesis on Representations of Nanotechnology in American Comic Books as a Pop-Cultural Indicator of Public Perceptions of the Emergent Field
Master’s Degree in Life Sciences Communication
University of Wisconsin | Graduated May 2010
- GPA: 4.0
- President of Students for Choice
- Recipient of the Nellie McCannon Scholarship
- Recipient of ADDY Award for AIDS Network video PSA
- Active member of Graduate School Committee
- Head designer for Women in Red Zine
- Certified Radio Marketing Professional by the Radio Advertising Bureau
- Radio host & engineer for WSUM 91.7 FM & WORT 89.9 FM
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
University of Florida | Graduated May 2007
- GPA: 3.9
- Graduated Cum Laude
- Honor Student (4 years)
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- Recipient of Bright Future’s Scholarship
- Dean’s List
Conference | Bioneers 2020 “Beyond the Great Unraveling: Weaving the World Anew” Theme (2020)
Course | Gestalt Psychology and Web Design: The Ultimate Guide by Interaction Design Foundation (2020)
Course | Information Visualization: Getting Dashboards Right by Interaction Design Foundation (2020)
Course | Intro to Data Science: The Art of Visualizations by Thinkful (2019)
Workshop | Introduction to UX Design by We Work (2019)
Workshop | Developing Marketing & Communications Plans by Duke University (2015)
Workshop | New NIH Biosketch Format: Keys to Writing a Compelling Scientific Narrative by the NIH (2014)